Today, about one in every three American youths (ages 2-19) is overweight. Childhood obesity is a complex issue that requires the attention of government, food and beverage manufacturers, schools and parents. Kraft Foods is actively engaged in some of the nation’s most important initiatives to raise awareness about the importance of balanced diets and physical activity. That’s why Kraft is proud to collaborate with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Founded by the American Heart Association and the William J. Clinton Foundation in 2005, the Alliance seeks to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity by 2015 and to empower kids nationwide to make healthy lifestyle choices. The Alliance works to positively affect the places that can make a difference in a child’s health: homes, schools, doctor’s offices and communities.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation's Healthy Schools Program provides real tools and solutions to help schools become healthier places for the students and staff who learn and work there every day. The Healthy Schools Program supports administrators, teachers, parents and students in implementing policies and programs that enable students to eat better and move more. Additionally, the Alliance established voluntary guidelines for snacks and side items sold in schools. The resulting Alliance School Beverage and Competitive Foods Guidelines cover foods and beverages offered outside of the reimbursable meal program, such as products sold in school vending machines, a la carte lines, snack bars, fundraisers and school stores. Kraft Foods has committed to offering food that satisfies the Alliance School Competitive Food Guidelines.
By selecting products that meet these guidelines, schools are able to:
- PROMOTE the consumption of fruits, vegetables, low-fat and fat-free dairy in schools
- CHANGE the mix of products in vending machines to increase healthier options
- REDUCE the amount of fat, sugar and sodium that kids consume during the school day
- PROVIDE lower-calorie and more nutritious beverage options for children in school
- TEACH students about appropriate portion sizes during the school day
Learn more at healthiergeneration.org
* Alliance for a Healthier Generation, http://www.healthiergeneration.org/about.aspx?id=3439